GRANDCOURT ROAD CEMETERY, GRANDCOURT
- Country France
- Total identified casualties 283 Find these casualties
- Region Somme
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.06556, Longitude: 2.70388
Grandcourt is a village about 11 kilometres north-north-east of the town of Albert. The Cemetery is 1 kilometre south of the village in the direction of Thiepval on the D151 road. Access from the D151 is by a single lane road. The Cemetery, 500 metres on the southern side of the road, is in the middle of a field.
Please note that parking is difficult. There is no permanent pathway to the cemetery; visitors must cross two fields to reach the cemetery.
Grandcourt was reached on 1 July 1916, by men of the 36th (Ulster) Division, but it was not taken until the night of 5/6 February 1917 when patrols of the Royal Naval Division found it deserted. It was in German hands again from April to August 1918. Grandcourt Road Cemetery was made in the spring of 1917 when the Ancre battlefield was cleared. The cemetery now contains 391 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 108 of the burials are unidentified but there is a special memorial to one casualty known to be buried among them. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.